Botanic Garden Profile: Dawyck Botanic Garden
Dawyck became the third Regional Garden and part of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh in 1978. Today the garden extends to some 25 hectares (60 acres) (See Map, Fig. 1) and is the woodland garden of what was once a considerably larger designed landscape centered on Dawyck House, which is currently a private residence. The garden today has some of the oldest plants in the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh’s living collection including an Abies alba, planted in 1690, and several Larix decidua, planted in 1725. It has recorded perhaps the greatest extremes of temperature, –19.8 °C in December 1995 and 29.9 °C in August 2006, of any of the four gardens.
Copyright (c) 2007 Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Please read our Open Access, Copyright and Permissions policies for more information.